Thursday, April 9, 2009

One Week Down!

Wednesday we spent the day at the orphanage - I worked on teaching some of the kids to write and read basic words. Then we had 'baby class' - for the young ones who can barely say the ABCs. One of my favorite boys, Godlove and his brother Ombeni were in that 'class'. I showed them how to write their names. Godlove was so proud of himself for tracing my letters with his pencil. This little boy has so much potential. I hope to have him writing his name on his own by the time we leave.

With all the work at the orphanage and the 2mile walk back, I felt dirtier yesterday than I have the entire time I've been here. I definitely considered showering in Purell.

Today Travis and Chris ventured out with Teacher for home visits in the community. Because of my stomach issues, I decided to stay back and get more rest. About mid-day my new found guardian angel Greta stopped by the daycare. She has been volunteering with St. Lucia for 4 years now. After explaining to her my symptoms, she suggested I go to a clinic nearby to be seen by a doctor.

The clinic was nice - cool and clean inside. Everyone was pleasant. The initial paperwork consisted of me writing my name, age, sex and address on a blank sheet of paper. For the rest of the visit, that was my 'chart'. I had bloodwork (I checked - it was a sanitary/un-used needle) and other labs done right there in the clinic. Results came within about 20 minutes. Amazing, really, considering back home it can take 2 trips and a couple days for labs and results at the primary care physician.

My diagnosis: giardisis...a parasite. It's fairly common, even in the US, so it's nothing to be terribly alarmed about, but it can be hard to treat.

I was given meds and instructed to come back next week for a typed copy of my chart. No copy machines here. I'll need follow up back home to ensure the giardia is gone, but let's all keep our fingers crossed.

We had dinner with Greta, who is such an amazing woman. She told us lots of great stories about the orphanage and how she's helped along the way. I'm just glad she was around today to help me.

Tomorrow we leave for a weekend in Zanzibar. I'm thinking 2 days relaxing on the beach should be just what the doctor ordered!

Happy Easter everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Hey. I'm bummed you got sick. All that prevenative medicine and it didn't help. Hopefully, you'll keep feeling better. I'll ask Aaron about it. The safari sounds awesome. I can't wait to see the video. Hope you get to have some sort of shower on your 'vacation'. Thanks for all the posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaron says you have "Beaver Fever". You should be taking Flagil (sp?) to cure it. Cipro isn't going to cut it. Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get a little choked up every time I read your and tpar's blog. What an amazing opportunity this is for you guys. I'm so proud of you both for taking this on. I don't know if I could do it. Keep up the good work.. give those babies a squeeze for me. I can't wait to see all the pictures when you get home. Have a great time this weekend! Happy Easter to all of you!
    TamiH

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drink lots of bottled water, try to avoid dehydration from the Giardiasis symptoms.

    ReplyDelete