Monday, April 13, 2009

Sunburned in the Shade

Of course I'm the only one of our crew to get sunburned in the shade of Zanzibar. If you could see the front of my legs, you'd be amazed. We lounged under the shade of a lovely thatched hut after snorkeling yesterday, and when I got up, I realized I was completely fried. I had sunscreen on, but even in the shade I somehow was a lobster. I've heard about those reflective sun rays, now I can say I've experienced them.

Friday was rough traveling for me because I was still nauseated and feeling sick. We negotiated a good rate with a cab driver upon arriving in Zanzibar and climbed in his shuttle van for the hour long trek up to Kendwa Beach. Along the way, the sights were much the same as in Arusha, though in a more tropical setting.

There were all kinds of people walking alongside the road...Women carrying bags of good or buckets of water on their heads. And little children herding the livestock. The homes were also small hut-like structures, made of stone and concrete. In Arusha most are made of mud or dung. These also had thatched roofs.

During the trek, our driver, Omar, gave us some history of Zanzibar. He told us how the town of Bububu got its name from the sound of the steam trains that used to pass through. He also explained how the polisi (police) is so corrupt there. He would have to give an officer $1 on his way back through town after dropping us off.

Unknowingly, we planned our trip during the very popular Full Moon Party weekend in Kendwa. We got to the resort area and found most places were booked. Omar was very kind and walked with us to 3-4 places. We promised him we'd call him to take us back to the airport today.

The first night, we stayed in these drab, dirty, old, rundown huts at White Sands Beach resort. I was pretty sketched out - It's amazing how a bathroom back at the daycare with lizards (not to mention rat poop) running around in it sounded so much nicer that night. The second day we were able to switch to nicer, newer air conditioned rooms and I was much more comfortable.

By Saturday morning, I could tell the medicine I'd gotten in Arusha was working, and I finally felt like eating. Our resort included breakfast, so we had omelettes and fresh fruit down on the beach. The rest of the day was rainy, but we camped out under a hut. I took the hammock and don't think I moved for hours.

Saturday night it cleared up and we walked over to the Kendwa Rocks resort for the Full Moon party. There was a dinner buffet and entertainment in the form of these dancing acrobatic men who also did the limbo under a fiery stick. After that is when the action started...lots of dancing to American club music.

Later in the evening we ended up talking to some Maasai men who work on the beach selling art. Jacob, in particular was very animated and friendly. He told us lots of interesting things about his culture. For instance, he's 24, and won't date or anything until he's 26 when he chooses a wife. At that time he'll get married, and likely return to his tribe in mainland TZ. I had a great time talking with him. He told me that if he and I were married and had a child, then if he died and I had other children, I would have to love his child more than the others. I guess it's the culture....and maybe the beers he was drinking.

The party was still going strong when we left at 3am. It was great to be there for it, though when looking at the moon on Saturday, I'm pretty sure it wasn't full.

First thing Sunday we went snorkeling. It was really great there! Lots of coral and beautiful fish. We saw starfish of every color too! The only bad part were the jelly fish, which cut the trip a little short because they just got to be too much to handle. One thing I found funny - the 'guide' who was out in the water with us, was standing on the coral at different times. I'm guessing he doesn't care or doesn't know that you're not supposed to do that!

The rest of the day I spent lounging in the shade getting sunburned....and walking down the beach looking at the art and jewelry being sold. All the vendors say, "Come in, just one minute" to lure you in. We bought a few things, including painting and wood carvings.

I'm really glad we had the long weekend to relax in Zanzibar. It's got to be one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. I feel more energized and ready to get back to working with the kids in the morning. We have only 4 days left. As much as I'm ready to get home, I feel like it's not enough time to make any headway with the kids. I guess every little bit helps, and I am looking forward to seeing them in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment