Saturday, April 4, 2009

Yes, I'm Sunburned

Today started when we decided to walk to the orphanage from the place we're staying. It should only be about two miles. Unfortunately, we went right instead of left...hence the sunburn. (Don't worry, Mom...it's not too bad.)


You can imagine our horror when we realized (after 45+ min) we were going the wrong direction. Sigh. A nice Tanzanian man heard us trying to figure out what to do and offered us a ride. He said he was heading that direction, though I'm not entirely sure he was. I climbed in the back seat with his bundle of lettuce and was thrilled to be rescued.

There must really be something to this Karma thing, because yesterday, upon returning to the daycare at the end of the day, we were locked out. Teacher told us Travis had the key. But one of the nurses took the key from Travis (we're still figuring out this communication thing). Fortunately, it was only about 10 min before the school bus driver came by and got a key from the neighbor next door. So we've been lucky - and I hope it continues this way.

Once we got to St. Lucia today it was all play and no work... Lots of fun with the kids today. The great thing about many of them is that they want to learn so much that even play involves some type of learning. Today I was helping Maria write her numbers while singing, "You are my Sunshine" with Tausi & Gertruda and playing matchbox cars with Godlove all at the same time.

We also worked on a schedule for the week with Teacher (his name is Chance, but everyone just calls him Teacher). Next week I'll be working in the kitchen at the orphanage as well as helping little Joqueen with his speech. He doesn't say much - but you can tell he's listening very well. He is so in love with love and just wants to be held all the time.

Travis has lots of chores like feeding and watering the chickens, fixing the windows and playing ball with the boys. Chris will be working with little John Boscoe who isn't walking right now. She examined him today and thinks there is a possibility he will be able to walk with some more physical therapy.

In the mornings, we'll all be helping teach at the daycare center. I've been working on math with the "middle" group....And trying to work on words/letters/vowels, but I think they're way ahead of me on that one. I'm learning as I go with this teaching thing.

Today was the last day other volunteers, Kim, Jon, Sal & Jocelyn were here. It was so wonderful having them around the first few days of our trip. Their knowledge about the children, the logistics, the town, everything really, was invaluable. It was a teary goodbye at the orphanage this afternoon though. I realized today just how hard it is for these kids. They have no one. Only each other and the people who come to help them. They get attached to the volunteers, of course. And volunteers to them. Aurelia and Tausi were very upset. Some of the older boys don't show emotion - they just sit back and try to hold it in.

I'm glad we will be here for the next couple weeks to ease the transition from Kim & John being gone. They've been coming to St. Lucia for 3 years and have bonded a lot with the kids. I told them both I'd do my best to take care of the kids, but they are huge shoes to fill.

I feel like we've been gone a long time already, but I'm so excited we still have two full weeks here to continue our work with the kids and making some improvements where we can.

After lots of encouragement and rave reviews from the other volunteers, today we booked a 2 day safari to Lake Manyara and Ngorogoro Crater. We leave tomorrow and will be back Monday evening. I hope to have internet access at the lodge, but if not, will post again by Tuesday (I hope!) :-)

I also think I figured out how to get pictures online, so will try to do that soon as well.

Thanks for all the comments, it's fun to read them. We'll send all your love to the kids!!!

4 comments:

  1. Maybe you should put a rock in your left pocket so you don't get lost again:)
    Glad to hear that Chris thinks John Bosco might be able to walk with some therapy. That makes me really happy. Don't be surprised if kitchen duties include small fish and you have to pick off the heads:) lol. Maybe not but i will be looking forward to that story if it happens...good protein you know. And as for Jamey and the peanut butter...he just doesn't like my cooking..peanut butter and jelly sandwich!
    Have a great safari this weekend, it will be great to take a break from sensory overload!
    It is hard on the kids when volunteers leave, so don't be surprised if they get a little distant the last day or two..just their way of coping with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erica... your trip sounds like a amazing experience. Keep up the great blog posts. I already am looking forward to your next post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Erica, Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. I am anxious to see your pictures. It all sounds amazing. I don't know how your mind is not blown with all the stimulation. Keep safe! Love, Dee and Darren

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your posts and learning about your adventures. You can tell them that Lissa is coming with Connie....I'm sure to be their favorite :}
    hehehehe

    ReplyDelete