Thursday, February 12, 2009

Typhoid, Malaria, Yellow Fever...Oh My!



Travis and I just returned from the Wake County Health Department after our morning of education about world diseases, immunizations and of course - the shots.

I now have four band-aids on my two arms. It didn't hurt too badly, but it sure didn't feel good.

Between the two of us we got six shots, I think. Plus two prescriptions for the oral Typhoid vaccine. Oh, and at least 15 "What You Need to Know" info sheets on the various vaccinations.

We were also given International Certificates of Vaccination to take with us on our trip for proof we've been appropriately inoculated.

Sitting in the room with Linda, the wonderful travel nurse at the Health Dept, it became increasingly evident how much easier this would've all been with Electronic Health Record access to our past medical history. Travis made three phone calls to find out - "Was it Hep A or B that I got in 2006?" I was on the phone last week with my doctor's office from before college (circa 1995) to find out whether I was up to date on Tetanus ("No") and MMR ("Yes").

Now we both have a little yellow PAPER booklet that has these records in it. Hopefully we can find a safe place to keep them until we're able to upload our records into a centralized EHR...I guess now is a good time to start that Google Health Account.

No comments:

Post a Comment